Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl Party and a Prayer Request

Super Bowl Monday has become an unofficial island holiday on Guam. A lot of people take at least the morning off to go to a hotel or have a bunch of friends over to their houses to watch the game. Remember, because Guam is on the other side of the date line, we get live American TV when America's today is tomorrow - err or something like that. The normal live Sunday afternoon NFL games come on here at 3 and 6 AM. The Super Bowl, fortunately came on at 9.30 AM this year. We had a good group of PIBC faculty, staff and students over to eat hot wings, cake, chips and other assorted game food. Yes, I have eaten hot wings at 3.30 AM at other football parties. Joyce made triple chocolate cake for my birthday (not low carb) which I was happy to share with the group, even though our Dean of Women, Melissa Heck ate her piece before she sang Happy Birthday to me. I made my pre-game prediction, 38-10 Patriots, about which I was happy to be wrong. It was a great game and a fun time of relaxation and fellowship.

On a more serious note.. our Yapese students were informed last week that they will no longer receive the Yap State Scholarship because they are majoring in Bible. The commission in Yap has decided that that Bible is not a priority field of study and is denying even the students that have been receiving this scholarship for the last few years. This will be a real financial hardship on many of them. Please pray that God will supply their needs. Also pray for Joyce and me as I head to Palau tomorrow.

No comments: