Monday, January 19, 2009

Start of a New Semester

Yesterday marked the beginning of the Spring (why we use these meaningless seasonal names in the tropics I am not sure) semester at Pacific Islands Bible College. I always enjoy the arrival of the students and getting caught up with them about what they did over the break, although right now I have to be careful not to get too close and pass on the cold I picked up on the flight back from the Mainland. We are very happy to have picked up 10 new students this semester. Normally, because of December graduates, we have a smaller student body in the Spring, but it looks like this semster our student body will increase by 5-8 full time students. For more info on the start of the semester check out our Dean of Women, Melissa Heck's blog. I snatched these pictures from her.


This semester I will teach two classes. At the undergrad level, I will be teaching Exegesis in Genesis. This course is taught partially in the classroom and partially on line. I am very excited about teaching this because our new distance education coordinator, Hartmut Scherer (pictured here at registration), has done a great job enhancing our DE website to increase what we can do with it and Genesis is my favorite book to teach in all the Bible - well maybe Wisdom Literature is tied for my favorite :). I will also teach the Old Testament Survey course for the seminary. 39 books in 15 weeks. Hold on to your hats! Joyce will be teaching the PIBC ESL class on Mondays and Fridays along with her ESL classes at the Japanese school on Tuesday-Thursday.

I am looking forward to seeing everybody gathered for our first chapel today.

No comments: