Friday, October 24, 2008

Nice Week at Biola

I spent my first few days on the mainland staying with Michael and Samantha and the kids near Biola in La Mirada. Of course this means I spend a lot of time playing with the grandkids, but I also have been able to talk to some other people. I had a good lunch with Dennis Dirks, the Dean of Talbot Seminary. We talked about possible ways Biola and Talbot could work together. Then Michael and Samantha introduced me to several Talbot faculty members. I, of course, emphasized the opportunity for these teachers to come out to Micronesia and write their books while sitting under a coconut tree, and teach a couple classes for PIBC. There seemed to be some interest in that.

Last night I had the opportunity to interview a couple young people, Jen Rydzik and Eddie Chern, about the possibility of coming out to PIBC next Fall to teach in our remedial program (mostly ESL) and work with our students. I appreciated their enthusiasm and commitment to service for Christ and the church. We are praying together to see where God will lead us in this, but I'd love to see some energetic young people like them at PIBC. I brought my camera to take a picture of everyone at the meeting, but as usual, I forgot to take the picture. After the meeting I went back to Mike and Sam's place with a sore throat. I woke this morning with no voice whatsoever. I'd appreciate your prayers that it would come back before I speak at Gold Country Baptist this Sunday.

Titus has been helping me out with my morning coffee run to Starbucks. Here is a pic of him there. I notice that when I bring him we seem to get more free samples...

4 comments:

Jen said...

I can't wait to come out to Guam, and, my family is really excited too. See you at church tomorrow :)

Dave Owen said...

I will see you there. I am hoping I will have my voice back to speak tomorrow.

Howard Merrell said...

Of course yu get more samples.
Who could resist that face?
I'm glad he got his looks from the rest of the family.
hm

Dave Owen said...

Uhh, thank you Howard, I think?