Monday, April 28, 2008

End of April Updates

We are moving toward the end of the month and the end of the semester so I thought I should "tie together some of the loose ends" of things I have mentioned the last couple weeks on the blog.

Of course the most important is that our granddaughter officially has a name and it is a big one. Her name is Courage (the cardinal virtue) Eudaimonia (classical Greek word commonly translated as 'happiness.'. Etymologically, it consists of the word "eu" ("good" or "well being") and "daimon" ("spirit" or "minor deity", used by extension to mean one's lot or fortune) Owen. Her middle name actually has the same meaning as her brother's Palauan middle name. They are back home from the hospital and all are doing well.

I have finished my Micronesian traveling for this semester. I had a great meeting with the parents of the Tol students on Friday. I sensed a real renewed resolve there to get behind and support the school on the part of the parents. We still need a lot of prayer for faculty on both our campus and teaching facility in Chuuk. A lot of this is explained in the letter distributed on Tol to the parents which is now posted on the PIBC web site. My time in Palau was also productive. I got a chance to meet with the seniors at Emmaus and Bethania High Schools. We gave out about 20 applications to interested students, many of whom said that they have already made their decision to come to PIBC.

I am finishing up my classes and the students are getting in their work over the next couple weeks. Please pray for them as they work hard to get everything in and for me as I grade the onslaught of material. Graduation will be May 13 on the Guam campus. We are also preparing for the PIBC Board meeting in Palau in June. We have a lot of things to get done before the end of the semester and before we head to California on the 14th. Thank you for praying that we will have the strength to do it.

No comments: