Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Palau Day 1

I headed down to Palau last Friday night. The purpose of my trip was to check out what was happening at our Palau Teaching Facility, finish the last three sessions of my Genesis class, recruit students at Emmaus and Bethania high schools and work with Billy Kuartei (Palauan Evangelical Church pastor and PIBC Board member) to get ready for the upcoming PIBC Board meeting and Palau Gospel Days celebration coming up in June. More on these later...

Before all of the above I got to be the opening and closing speaker at the PEC deacon's workshop on Saturday morning. The purpose of the workshop was to provide more training for the deacon's to lead church activities. Our PIBC teaching facility coordinator, Rob Watt and Hedrick Kual, PEC pastor and PIBC graduate, have been coordinating these workshops over the last few months to help the church train its leaders. I was encouraged to see several pastors at the workshop in addition to the deacons. I tried to encourage the participants to think "outside the walls" of the church as the place of ministry and not to separate "sacred" from "secular." We talked about the church's commission to pass the Abrahamic blessing on to the society around them through "Gospel words and deeds." I enjoyed the good fellowship and renewed friendships with these Palauan church leaders.

No comments: