Friday, August 15, 2008

The Bocks Are Here!

Larry and Sharon Bock arrived on Guam at 2.00 AM on Wednesday. Joyce and I, and Brad Boydston were there to greet them. Larry is a new faculty member who will be teaching two Bible classes on our Guam campus and Sharon will be working "where ever I can be most help." Larry is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary (All right, another DTS alum on Guam!) and they have been living in Longview Texas, the last few years. The picture is of the Bocks and us in the Guam airport parking lot. They will be staying at our house the next few weeks so we will have room mates for a while. We will be giving them the island tour tomorrow and they are starting to get over the jet lag. We are excited to have them here as a part of the PIBC family and we would value your prayers for their good adjustment to the climate, culture and college (couldn't resist the three C's).

By the way, our trip to the airport to pick up the Bock's was our 67th airport trip of 2008.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Owen,
The Bocks are good friends of ours at Kilgore Bible Church and am thrilled to learn about their missions at PIBC. Am just sorry I did not get to see them at the KBC's send-off reception but I wanted to say though that Dr. Bock is an inspiring teacher. May you and your students be blessed and encourage with their ministry as they are to me personally.
On another subject--I wanted to find out more about your library, being librarian (by the way you weblink is not quite working) and ask you about the possibility of book donation (not from me personally). Let me explain-- every year in behalf of my college I participate at the University of Texas Austin surplus program. Last year I was able to acquire about $15,000.00 worth of brand new materials for free for my college library. In October I will be making another trip and I was just thinking if there are theological books available, will they be of any use to your library's collection. Being in the library profession I am very aware how costly these publications are. We are a 2-year community college and don't normally acquire these materials since they are not supportive of our curricular offerings. At any rate, since I am already there doing the selection I thought I could try and then figure out how to send them to PIBC later on. I am sure shipping to Guam will be a challenge. This is just an idea. In a small way I thought I could be a part of the Bock's ministry in this manner. So long and God bless you all!

Dave Owen said...

Thank you. Yes, we would be very interested in book donations. This mostly is the way we have built up our library. We are trying to build up libraries in our remote sites as well as our Guam campus so we need multiple copies of key theological books. It is fairly easy to ship to Guam because we are in the US postal system. Books can be sent by US mail book or media rate and can be sent fairly cheaply. I passed your greeting on to the Bocks. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous said...

Great!
We'll keep you posted and send you a listing of the books before shipping so you can double check if they are at all useful to you.

Hello from Texas to the Bocks and to you!
Zeny

Dave Owen said...

Thank you Zeny. We appreciate the help. Could you send me an email - Click on the "email me" link - so that we could communicate more directly? I'll pass on your greetings to the Bocks