Wednesday, May 25, 2011

32nd Wedding Anniversary

32 years ago today Joyce and I were married. The main thing I remember about the day was that it was over 100 degrees and my ankle hurt so bad I could hardly stand up. :) But after 32 years it has certainly turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

My morning devotions today were in Proverbs 19-20 and 19.14 really jumped out at me, "a prudent (successful, congenial, sensible depending on the translation) wife is from the LORD." The key word is a translation of the Hebrew word מַשְׂכָּלֶת  which according to HALOT (I have to be a good example here to the students in citing sources) means to be insightful, an achiever of success, skillful, wise. The idea it carries in wisdom literature is the ability to live life skillfully and successfully. It describes a person who knows how to navigate all the rough waters of life and bring herself and those associated with her safely to shore. The amazing thing was that Joyce's picture was right there in the lexicon definition! (Not really but it should have been.)

The point of the passage is that a man that gets a woman like that should thank the LORD because she is truly a gift. And I do thank God for Joyce. After 32 years I know I am truly blessed!

I thought I should throw one old picture in here. I think this is from about 1995, during a family vacation to Hume Lake. 

1 comment:

The Ahlgren Family said...

Happy Anniversary! You two make a terrific couple! May God bless you with many more years together!