Saturday, January 14, 2017

Medical Update #2 (and grandkid pictures)

It has been about a week since I last posted an update on what has become a medical leave for me from my work on Guam. Pictures of that would be boring so I am also posting a couple of pictures of Joyce with some of our grandchildren.

DSC08879 (1024x768)I have now completed the first round of tests to determine what is causing my various and strange symptoms. These have included tests of various body fluids- some of which come out of the body and others which are supposed to stay in the body – including multiple blood tests. I also had a skin biopsy and a CT scan. I don’t have an explanation of the results as yet. My appointment with the hematologist is on the 20th and then with the GP on the 23rd. Hopefully, we will find out something then. Until then we must do what God has asked the faithful to do for thousands of years: We must wait!

A lot of people have asked two questions: “How do you feel?” and “Are you getting any better?” The answer to the first is, a bit bored but too tired to do anything about it. I am supposed to be laying down, completely horizontal with feet up, most of the day which precludes doing much of anything. It’s not so bad because I am sleeping 10-14 hours per day. This was better during the vacation time when football was on TV all day but it does get a bit tiresome now.

DSC08849 (1024x768)The answer to the 2nd question is “no.” I have not yet started any treatment except trying to get rid of the edema (only a symptom) and that is not working fast enough in my opinion (written with a bit of a smile). I am hoping that after the 20th the doctors will have a handle on what is wrong and treatment can begin. If not, I begin a 2nd round of testing that will be looking for the more nasty stuff. My prayer request is that the doctors can find something in that first round of testing and get me back on my feet again (literally). My other prayer request is that I can stay positive, despite the circumstances, and use this valuable sick time to cooperate with what the LORD is doing in my life right now. So again, we must wait!

Finally, nobody wants to see pictures of a sick person so I am posting some pictures of Joyce with our grandkids here. Missy and Leila came to visit us at Christmas at my parents’ house. Joyce also got to go down to San Diego for a few days and see Matt and his family. It was the first time she had seen Meika our newest grand-daughter.

No comments: