Saturday, December 16, 2017

Day 1 of “Freedom” on Day 30 After “Rebirth”

20171107_133025 (1024x768)

Today is Day 30 from my “rebirth” day when my harvested stem cells were implanted on November 16th. It is a day of “freedom” because I no longer have to wear the mask in public (except in doctors’ offices), I can have visitors again, and my diet is pretty much unrestricted. I have been exercising, mostly walking, but today I can begin resistance exercises to rebuild muscle and restart my edema therapy exercises. On November 16th the hospital cafeteria made me a birthday cake to celebrate my being “born again.” With the new stem cells I have a brand new immune system. In fact, if things go well, next November I will need to get all my vaccines redone. I have to take some special anti-viral medicines this year until that happens. My system is now “cancer-free” and we expect it to stay that way (80% successful according to my doctors) as I get tested for that over the next few months. I would appreciate your prayers as I move through the rehabilitation process throughout 2018.

Being “born again” again is a new start for me, and for Joyce. We really do not know what our future holds except that we know that God is guiding us and we will be serving Him wherever we are. As of January, our exact status with Liebenzell Mission is on hold until we get word from our first post-transplant PET scan in March. After that we will have a little better idea of what we will be able to do. Another issue is still my edema. I will begin more focused treatment for that in March. It is likely that 2018 will be the year that we move back into a more active ministry, but this may be limited depending on how I move through rehab. I have applied for disability status on the advice of my doctors and we should hear if that is approved within the next few months. The bottom line is that God is taking us in a new direction and we are not sure what that is. We plan to stay connected with Liebenzell Mission USA and with PIU but we are waiting for God to lead us into what that role will be. Our future is in His hands, as it always is – we just realize it more in times of transition like this, and we appreciate your prayers that God will lead. As I read in my devotions this AM, God sometimes leads us into the wilderness (but He provides manna while we are there) to get us to the Promised Land. It is a little scary, but an exciting time. Thank you for your prayers and support for us through this whole process.

No comments: