Monday, March 29, 2010

March Travels - Teaching and Preaching in Palau

While Joyce was enjoying running around Palau, I was there to teach my PIU class. This would complete the second of two sets of four two-hour sessions for Old Testament History. The class has 8 Guam students (who have two sessions still to go in April) and 5 students in Palau. It is a "hybrid" course with 8 two-hour traditional lecture-discussion class sessions combined with on line threaded discussions, quizzes and reflective journals. All the projects and homework assignments are handed in by e-mail. I have been impressed with the depth of insight the students have into the books we are studying and I very much enjoy the unique perspectives the students from the different sites bring to the discussion, especially the applications they make to their own situations. This time we discussed the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings and Chronicles. The students also took Joyce and I out for a great lunch on Saturday. In the Fall I am scheduled to teach the book of Romans in the same format.

On Sunday we also had the privilege to speak in both the Palauan and English services at the Koror Evangelical Church. Dwight Alexander translated for me in the Palauan service. The Gospel Kindergarten, where Joyce taught back in 1984-8, was doing a program in the Palauan service (2 PIU alum's are teaching there). They did a very cute musical about Jonah in which Jonah was energetically spewed from the mouth of the whale. I was inspired by it to change my message and preached on Jonah, relating it to being obedient to fulfilling our calling as a church. I preached on Samson in the English service.

It was a lot of fun to go to Palau with Joyce. I always miss her when I have to travel alone. We also appreciated very much how generously the people there took care of us. We look forward to going back again soon.

No comments: