Sunday, May 04, 2008

Monday Morning Musings

I am sitting in my office - got here before everybody except Cheryl Boydston - preparing for my week, while listening to the A's game on the internet in the background and I thought I'd post a couple things I have been thinking about.

In about an hour we have our meeting to prepare our 5 Year plan for presentation to the board. We had the first half of the meeting last Thursday. These meetings alternately get me excited and depressed. There are so many things that are happening at PIBC. We have some really wonderful opportunities to make a real difference here. On the other side each opportunity takes money and more people and we wonder where all that will come from. I am very thankful that our Sunday night prayer meeting put both of those back in perspective. We meet to try to discern (which we also do imperfectly) what God is calling us to do and He will provide for what He leads us to do.

This morning Joyce, on the way to school, made the observation that "dry season" is really here. The jungle is looking pretty brown. The funny thing is that it rained last night and a couple times this past week. It just is not enough to keep the jungle green. We really don't have a dry season here. I would call it a "less wet" season. I heard that one news commentator said that the turnout for the Guam democratic caucus would be low because it was hot here. It is always hot here but the daylight temp rarely goes above 90 or below 80.

I was a little surprised by Obama's victory on Guam, even though it was by only 7 votes. Over the last 10 years the Clinton's have worked to develop the kind of political relationships on Guam that tend to get one elected to high office. Thus the victory may be more significant than the margin.

This is the last week of the semester and so everyone is busy getting things wrapped up. My students are feverishly working (at least I hope so) to get done the work they put off to the last moment. Please keep them and us in your prayers as we try to end well.

We are looking forward to a short vacation to see the grandkids. Of course we can hardly wait for our first glimpse of Courage.

No comments: