Sunday, November 27, 2011

Visit to Columbia International University

One of my regular stops on my Fall US tour is Columbia International University in Columbia, South Carolina. PIU and CIU have a long history together. In many ways, and on a smaller scale, PIU has been patterned after CIU. This is my 7th visit there after I was invited there by CIU seminary professor Don Howell to recruit seminary and English teachers back in 2005. Don and his wife Melissa have hosted me for all 7 visits. We now have two CIU alumni, Sarah Brubaker and Joey Charles, teaching for us at PIU as well as Steve Bradley, longtime LMUSA missionary and retired CIU teacher, who has been teaching as a volunteer for PIU for several years. I always enjoy going there because PIU has so many friends at CIU. This year my main objective was to work out an articulation agreement for transfer of credit (successful!) and, as always, to recruit teachers. Our three main needs right now for faculty are education, music and a seminary dean. I am also looking for couples to direct our teaching facilities in the surrounding islands. I also was able to talk with CIU administrators about some student and staff mission trips, faculty exchange and other partnership ventures. I felt like I spent a productive 3 days there and the warm weather with the beautiful fall colors (picture taken in front of the CIU student center) was just a bonus.

No comments: