Friday, February 10, 2012

Featured PIU Student

I am reviving my posts on PIU students that I would like you to meet. This week my featured student is Mondale Tim. Mondale is a 27 year old seminary student from Nema in the Upper Mortlock Islands of Chuuk state of the Federated States of Micronesia. Mondale attended PIU at the Tol, Chuuk campus from 2004-7 and graduated with a Bachelors Degree in biblical studies on the PIU-Guam campus in 2008. He is in his 3rd year in the PIU seminary (PIES) and will receive his Master of Arts Degree in Religion with an emphasis in General Ministry at our May 7th 2012 graduation ceremony.

Mondale spent most of his childhood and youth on the island of Weno, gradu2008 (10)the capitol of Chuuk, with his younger brother and two older sisters.  His father is still a pastor in the Chuukese church. Mondale “thought I was a Christian” as a child but made his “first real decision for Christ” as a first year Bible student at PIU. As a high school graduate he had spurned the advice of his uncle to go to college and went to College of Micronesia where he quickly “got myself kicked out.” That was when he decided to take his uncle’s good advice and he is thankful God led him to that decision.

Mondale is the current student body president at PIU and has been a resident assistant in the dormitories the last couple years. It has been a lot of work but “I had to plan my work and work out my plan.” Being in student leadership “helped me to make good decisions and good plans and helped me to be a better leader.”

Mondale has especially enjoyed being able to focus the last three years on theological studies, “I am full of theology here.” He is thankful that “I can handle the scriptures well now and explain them to my own people in my own language, in a way they can understand.” He says, “I would like more of my Chuukese brothers to come so that we can grow in experience and knowledge together.” The courses for me were more practical than just lectures.” “I had a good role model from my teaching.”

Mondale plans to return to Chuuk this summer to be a teacher. He is not sure if he will teach in high school or college. In addition, “the church is open to me to lead Bible studies and for preaching.” Mondale asks for prayer that 1) He will accomplish his plan and finish the semester strong 2) Direction for where to teach and serve in the church after graduation 3) His hope to continue on and get a more advanced seminary degree some day.

Seminary students at PIU are unable to receive any federal funds for their education costs. There are many young people like Mondale who would like to attend PIES seminary but are unable financially. Donations to the PIU scholarship fund will help more Pacific Islander young men and women get the training they need to serve the churches and schools of the Pacific region.

No comments: