Saturday, April 12, 2014

This Week in the Psalms

My Facebook friends know that I have been posting “devotional thoughts” every morning on my Facebook page. The last couple years I have been working through the New American Commentary as I read through the Bible and have been posting some quotes from it. Interestingly there is not a volume in that set for Psalms (at least not in Logos) so I decided to post my own thoughts on each Psalm as I read through them. Sometimes it is a summary of the Psalm or it can be a thought that strikes me as I read the Psalm. I thought I would post them here too so I can “archive” them (things can disappear on Facebook) and go back and reflect periodically.

The God-centered life is the one worth living. Psalm 1

Submission to human rulers or political systems often requires a choice between freedom and safety. Submission to God's king and life in God's kingdom provides both. Psalm 2

One who trusts YHWH does not need to fear enemies, no matter how many rise up against you. Psalm 3

Don't let circumstances fool you. God does hear your prayers and will keep His promise, so keep trusting Him. Psalm 4

Prayer: Lord help me to recognize the people, ideas and advice that will keep me within the shelter and agenda of your life-experiencing kingdom. Then help me to bring your life out to everyone I contact as you live through me. Psalm 5

The character and covenant of God assure the ultimate victory of God's people, despite our weaknesses and inadequacies. So keep praying. Psalm 6

God will judge justly. We should look at ourselves first and repent of our own unjust acts toward others and then pray and work for God's justice now. Psalm 7

We (human beings) have an important and honorable task to do: represent God and His care to the whole creation. We are not up to the task, but in God's strength (ministered through the ultimate human Jesus) even "babies" (v.2) can do it. Psalm 8

We can trust God because he has the power and will set all things right. Anything that comes at us God can handle and use to accomplish His purposes in our lives. Psalm 9

It often seems now like God ignores the evil of the tyrant and the plight of the oppressed. He sees it all and will make everything right in the final kingdom. In this age we need to be the "body" as God works through us so that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Psalm 10

Even when it seems like God has been dethroned, he is still in charge. Justice still rules and things will be set right. He is the only safe refuge. Psalm 11

I am sick and tired of people with "big vision" and "powerful plans" that walk all over and misuse, in the name of God, the people God loves. May God save us from this. Psalm 12

Despite my circumstances I will patiently trust in God's character and promises. My circumstances then become a stimulus to prayer and an opportunity for God to move powerfully in my life. Psalm 13

Evil and oppression flow from a world-view which does not acknowledge God. This means that, even though someone says they acknowledge God, if they use and abuse others, they neither acknowledge nor serve God. Psalm 14

A real relationship with God is shown by service to others, devotion to truth, and words and actions of integrity. Psalm 15

I am "all in" for God. He provides my goals, my direction and my security. The result is that not even death can defeat me. Psalm 16

Prayer: Lord I refuse to answer violence with violence or lies with lies. Despite what others do around me I will do and say the right thing. This means I must rely on you and your covenant for my cause and well-being. But Lord, whether you save me now, or not, I will be satisfied with your presence because I know that you bring joy forever. Psalm 17

When we trust God for our lives and ministry He personally intervenes to make them successful according to His plan. There are great rewards for obedience to God - the best of which is His presence. Psalm 18

Both the world around us and the scriptures give an accurate account of God's glory and power, and his instructions give us the parameters for wise, right and joyful living. Psalm 19

Psalm 20 is a prayer for God's "anointed one," the Messiah (king). Since God answered every request in this prayer for Jesus (the ultimate Messiah) - including help, favor, fulfilled plans, joy, victory and all his other requests - he will now do the same for his people and He will do it in a similar way as he did for Jesus - cross then glory.

No enemy can really harm the one who keeps covenant with God. He will accomplish His eternal plan for His people. Psalm 21

Suffering for truth and righteousness happens so often it is proverbial. In this world, those who radically trust God will be misunderstood, mocked, hurt, and persecuted. It will get so bad that the sufferer feels that God has deserted him. But God is always there. He gives strength and accomplishes his plan through the suffering to produce the joys of his eternal kingdom, not only for the sufferer, but for anyone who comes in contact with him. Psalm 22

YHWH's covenant insures His direction, protection and care for me. Even though I go through many difficulties- and will eventually die - he assures that I will come out on the other end better fit for His eternal kingdom. Psalm 23

All of the stuff in the Psalms above is sure - including God fitting me for His kingdom - because God has the power and desire to do it. The King of Glory wants to bless us! Psalm 24

Our weaknesses and enemies (not always people) put us in constant need of God, but He is always there to meet the need, providing His presence and covenant blessings and to teach and enable us to overcome these obstacles. Psalm 25

Trusting YHWH leads to a life of integrity and worship. God's grace results in changed people. Psalm 26

When we trust God there is no need to fear. When trouble comes, pray, seek God's presence, and wait for his deliverance and it will come. Psalm 27

Prayer For Justice: God set things right! Punish those who hurt and deceive others and reward those who love their neighbors. In the meantime I will trust His care for His people and praise Him. Psalm 28

No comments: