Thursday, October 20, 2016

Germany #2 - An Afternoon with Sister Elsbeth

Bad Liebenzell (18) (768x1024)

Bad Liebenzell (22) (768x1024)Bad Liebenzell (24) (768x1024)One afternoon last week, Howard and I got to spend some time with Sister Elsbeth Reumann. She had been in Palau for many years when we arrived in 1984. When I see her I always remind her that she saved my life in 1985. I had an infection from a bug bite and had a temperature of about 106. She lanced the swelling and gave me some German medicine and I was good in a few days. She is in her 90’s and still going strong, living with the retired sisters on the Liebenzell Mountain. She wanted to show us where former Liebenzell Mission director Ernst Vatter and several of the German sisters are all buried together in a local cemetery. I thought some of my Micronesian brothers and sisters and fellow-missionaries might also be interested to see this so I took a couple pictures. It was a beautiful setting and we also stopped to get some coffee and pie, and talk a while.

Bad Liebenzell (16) (768x1024)Bad Liebenzell (19) (768x1024)Bad Liebenzell (21) (768x1024)

Some of the other sisters that are buried there are Sister Lengning who worked in Palau, and Sisters Stuber and Thieme who worked many years in Chuuk. These ladies gave their lives for missionary nursing, education, Bible Translation and many other evangelistic activities.

No comments: