Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Of Mice and Memory

The letter below was written by our IT person Mary Lou Carruthers to Board member David Mayer after David brought a bag of new computer mice and RAM memory to us for our PIU computers. Several people in North Carolina donated so that David could purchase the badly needed upgrades for our computers…

I want to express my thanks for the memory and mice for our computers here at PIU.

Anne at a Faster Computer.IMG_4137v2 Every computer comes with one mouse and I had gotten to the point where I had NO spares.  Thank the Lord for your donation of mice.  I now have spares and if a student comes to me asking if I have any spares, I have them to check out for the semester.  I have been able to do this with keyboards but not mice.  The mice are the exact type I wanted - tethered via a USB port.

I have so far updated 2 PCs with the 2 gig memory chips you sent.  I experimented on the Front Office computer which has been very slow in being able to service student needs.  It was like filling my gas tank with jet fuel!  What a difference.  Attached is a picture of a very happy Anne Stinnette who immediately noticed.  With the memory you sent, I will be able to upgrade the memory on 12 PCs which will get the most used computers with more memory.

Again, you have blessed us by donating the memory and mice to help make PIUs computers run faster and I thank God for you being willing to do this.

Blessings, Mary Lou

There still is a big need at PIU for new computers. The student computers were bought with a grant we received in 2006 and many of them are falling out of service. Most of the staff computers are even older and Mary Lou was unable to upgrade them. In fact several of the library staff computers are running Windows 98 or 2000. If you would like to find out how you could help PIU by donating computers or computer equipment please send an email to Mary Lou or call PIU at 671-734-1812

No comments: