Monday, April 07, 2008

Some Random Thoughts About My Time in Chuuk

It was a strange feeling to be sitting out under the stars next to the Tol classroom several miles away from what most Western people would consider necessary modern items (power, roads, stores, cars etc) and talking to my wife on Guam through a wireless internet connection. The students, who a couple years ago had no communication with the outside world are now regularly sending text messages all over the world and also had their laptops out, connected and were chatting with students on the Guam campus. The world is changing fast.

PIBC Chuuk bought a used Honda CRV which I drove around while I was on Weno. It came from Japan so it is a right side drive. We drove cars like that when we lived in Palau but I am not used to shifting with the left hand and signaling with the right. I don't know how many times I turned on the wipers when I was trying to signal. But the car was very nice.

I always enjoy the time to talk to people in Chuuk Every morning in Weno Iotaka Choram, our teaching facility coordinator, and I had breakfast together. I really enjoyed our daily theological and ministry strategy discussions. I also had great discussions on Tol over coffee or meals with the Betzes, Steve Bradley and the Lodge family as they all (over)fed me. It has been a while since I spent two straight hours sitting at the table in conversation.

There were a lot of tears and grief for the students (especially the female students) when I announced the decision to cut back our program on Tol for the next year. This meant that both the 2nd and 3rd year students would have to transfer out. They build such deep bonds with each other that the thought of parting sooner than expected effected them deeply. I was impressed though with how they came together to comfort one another and focused on God's leading in their lives.

There are still great needs and problems in Chuuk, but when I focus on the great potential I see there in our students and staff, there is also great hope.

No comments: