Saturday, March 14, 2009

Bowling Night at PIBC

Last night we got our PIBC community group together for a night of bowling and pizza. Community groups consist of a couple PIBC faculty-staff members and a group of students. We have periodic activities for fun, fellowship, communication and just getting to know one another better. So last night we (the Owen's and Boydston's) took our group up to Leo Palace to bowl at the newest bowling alley on island. I had not been up to Leo Palace in a while and I was amazed to see how nice it was. The golf course was advertising an upcoming LPGA tournament to be played there. I also found out that several Japanese professional baseball and women's softball teams had done their spring training there. There were some absolutely beautiful baseball and soccer fields there with all the modern scoreboards and other conveniences.

The bowling alley was also beautiful and very high tech. The four Chuukese guys that are part of our group Alvin, Mavrick, TK and Dave Souleng had never bowled before so I thought I was pretty safe to volunteer to buy ice cream for anyone who beat me in a game. I now owe ice cream to Alvin, Daisy, and Dave. (I did better in the 2nd game) We had a great time and enjoyed all the computer animations that would play on the screen when someone got a strike or threw a gutter ball. After the bowling we went over to Pizza Hut and got a few Big New Yorkers. We took them down to Paseo Stadium and enjoyed pizza and soft drinks on the beach. It was a perfect, cool breezy evening. It poured down rain while we were bowling but the sky was clear when we were outside. I enjoyed the wide-ranging discussions with the students as we were eating pizza (including everything from the interpreatation of Genesis 1-11, the Matrix and Star Trek, to why there are no beef cattle or dairy cows on Guam). I especially enjoyed the opportunity to get away from the administrative desk and get to know the students a little better.

No comments: