Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Close Encounter With a Pig

Today after getting home Joyce and I, and Steve Stinnette, went over to the Yigo Fire Station for our afternoon walk. We usually go over there Monday, Wednesday and Friday at about 5:00 PM to walk/jog for some exercise. It is nice to get out and get some exercise after spending the day inside in an office or classroom, especially when you are writing self-studies. We walk up to the back gate of the old Andy South housing area which is a little over 3 miles and has a nice uphill portion to get the heart rate up. Since noone lives there any more there are very few cars on the road, unless there is a military exercise going on. Today I got up almost to the top about 30-50 yards from the gate and a wild pig came wandering out and crossed the road right in front of me. He didn't seem to notice that I was there and started walking toward me down the side of the road where I was walking. When he got to within about 10 yards of me he noticed I was there. I kept walking toward him and he stared at me for a second or two and then shuffled off into the jungle. I could hear him grunting and moving through the trees for a few seconds after that. He was black and maybe about 30 pounds (full disclosure: I am a terrible size, weight, length, estimator). I was excited to get back down the hill to tell Joyce and Steve about my close encounter but when I got back to the car Joyce said, "Guess what I saw on my walk." Yep, a pig. Couldn't have been the same one because we were too far apart at the time. I guess it was a pig migration. One might ask, "why did the pigs cross the road?" We don't know because they didn't stop to tell us. And no this was not the pig I saw. It is an old picture. I do not take my camera jogging.

No comments: