Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trip to Pohnpei

SAMSUNG            This is the time of year for my annual recruiting/conference trip to the US mainland. This year I had been invited to visit Pohnpei by the Pohnpei Church of Christ leadership, so I stopped there for a couple days on my way to the US. This year we have the most Pohnpeian students (7) attending PIU that we have ever had and we are hoping to see more students from Pohnpei at PIU. I had an opportunity to address the students, staff and faculty at Ohwa Christian School (where PIU graduate Saladier Ilai is part of the administration), give the PIU entrance exam there, meet with school and church leaders and meet with a wider group of church leaders at an Isles of the Sea Bible translation training conference. It is exciting to see God opening up new areas for PIU to minister. It also makes my goal to recruit new faculty, staff and administration for PIU much more urgent.

SAMSUNG            SAMSUNG

I gave the PIU entrance exam to 15 students at Ohwa Christian School. Later PIU faculty Ken Dixon gave the test to five more potential students.

SAMSUNG            SAMSUNG

Ohwa hosted a dinner reception for me that evening. I got an opportunity to talk about PIU and encourage the students that a Christian college education is possible for them. I also had the opportunity to meet with faculty, staff and administration at Ohwa (right).

SAMSUNG            SAMSUNG

The freshmen girls at Ohwa sang a song of welcome to me. The food was amazing.

SAMSUNG            SAMSUNG

The next day I had an opportunity to give the devotional and teach a session on how to do effective Bible study to a group of Pohnpeian pastors. The conference was organized by PIU profs, and Isles of the Sea missionaries, Ken Dixon and Peter Knapp. I enjoyed meeting the pastors from the UCCP group, PMF, and other churches. They seemed to be very excited about developing a relationship with PIU.

No comments: