Sunday, October 17, 2010

Annual Micronesian Island Fair

Joyce and I always make it a point to get down to the Micronesian Island Fair on Guam every year. It takes place every October and showcases arts and crafts, music, dance and, of course, food from each Micronesian state. So last Friday night we picked up Jake and Inca (students who are part of our discipleship group) and headed down to Ypao Beach for the fair. The picture here is of us posing in the re-created ancient Chamorro village. You never know what you will see down there but there is always something new and interesting. We always see old friends there too. The food is a bonus - this year I went for the BBQ chicken and pork on a stick. Joyce also was able to buy some cool things for Missy's wedding.

This year the new thing for us was to get up close with a monitor lizard. There was a guy there letting his pet lizard crawl around on the grassy area. So, as usual, Joyce wanted to get a closer look. Most of the time animals go to Joyce and leave me alone, but this lizard took a special interest in me. The handler thought that it was because the colors of my island shirt made the lizard think I was a tree and would provide some camouflage. Chili (that was the lizard's name) was certainly intent on getting himself up and on to my shirt. Those things have very sharp claws and I was surprised how strong they were. It had to be pried off of me. It was a bit of an odd feeling to have that thing crawling up my leg. We tried but we couldn't get Jake and Inca to let him climb on them.

Joyce also wanted me to take a picture of this guy with his very interesting walking stick. The stick is made out of hardwood but the vine that had grown into it gave it a very unique look. I wish we could have afforded to buy it. The Micronesian Island Fair is one of those things that makes Guam such an interesting and great place to live.

No comments: