Friday, November 21, 2008

I am Back on Guam

I arrived back on Guam last night and, since I am up before dawn on Saturday, I have a little time to post to the blog and update you on what I have been up to lately. After Columbia SC, I flew back across the country to LA. I flew from Greensboro NC after Steve Stinnette and I had a chance to visit with Guam friend, Sonia Talato. Sonia reads the blog regularly, so I can say here - thanks Sonia for the hospitality. After the long flight we touched down in smoky LA. The smoke was so thick Saturday evening I could not even see the runway when we landed. The next morning when Michael, Titus and I went out to Starbucks (they drank healthy juice, I drank healthy coffee) ash was falling thick like snow and many people were walking around with masks or cloths over their mouths. The sun had an apocalyptic red color. The sky had pretty much returned to normal by Sunday afternoon. As you can see from the picture, I enjoyed some quality grandkid time on Sunday.

I will talk more about LA and what I did there in my next blog post. On Monday I drove down to San Diego to see Matt and Kristin and meet some people from San Diego Christian College and Southern California Seminary. When I was there Matt was teaching (pictured here) in a psychology class about Guam culture. He invited me to join him in teaching the class. Team teaching with Matt was a lot of fun and, of course, we are very proud of him as he is beginning his first year on the faculty there. We had a good time talking to the class about the island cultures and I had a good opportunity to make them aware of the needs and opportunities for teachers and counselors in Guam and Micronesia. That evening we went with the class to the Yokozuna restaurant (pictured below) in Chula Vista to introduce the class to Guam cuisine. It was fun to eat red rice and kelaguen in California.

I had a good opporunity to talk to several faculty/staff people there in San Diego. I also got to meet with our TRACS representative who will be coming out to Guam in May for our reaffirmation of accreditation visit. It was great to be able to introduce him to what we are doing at PIBC and help him get a glimpse at our vision for the school. I would appreciate your prayers as we are working on the self-study and other preparations for the visit.

My time in San Diego ended with breakfast with Matt and I headed back up to LA on Wednesday. I really enjoyed my time with Matt and Kristin and seeing what God is doing in their lives.

No comments: