Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dave's Travels on the US Mainland - Dallas

From Sacramento I flew to Dallas last Thursday. Missy lives in Allen Texas so I was able to spend some time with her and Cliff while I was there in Dallas. The main reason to be there was to speak at the missions conference for Redeemer Bible Church in Dallas. Before the conference I was able to have nice lunch meeting with Steve and Debbie Dyk from Dallas Theological Seminary. We are praying that Steve and Debbie will be able to become part of PIU after she finishes her dissertation at DTS. The first night of the missions conference entailed small dinners with missionaries hosted by the people in the church. I enjoyed getting to share about PIU around the dinner table and over dessert in the living room.I also got to hang out a little with Paul and Janet Ramler - Janet is Joyce's sister.

Saturday night included a hamburger barbecue and a service focused on Muslim ministry. The speaker was from Bangladesh and gave a very encouraging report about what God is doing among Muslims in Bangladesh and in the USA. I was also able to meet there with Joe Collins, husband of Lisa our librarian - sorry Lisa we forgot to take a picture! Joe and I enjoyed having some time to get caught up on what is happening with each other. I took the picture on the right for Joyce. I didn't realize that some ethnic Muslim music included an accordian.

The final day of the conference was the Sunday service. I had the opportunity to preach the sermon after a Skype missionary report and parade of the flags of nations. I preached on "Making God's Mission our Mission." Afterward we went to church member's house for lunch to assess the conference and talk missions strategy. It was a wonderful encouraging weekend for me. I appreciate the commitment to missions at Redeemer. After the service I jumped in the rental car to head for Salado for the evening service there.

Monday I returned to Dallas and was able to take Missy and Cliff out for Missy's birthday dinner. I am now on my way back to Guam and am writing this post from the Houston airport.

No comments: