Friday, May 31, 2013

Pingelapese Bible Translation

SAMSUNG            One of the interesting things I got to do while in Pohnpei was attend a translation session for the Pingelapese Bible. The translation is a cooperative effort between the Isles of Sea Group (which is affiliated with Wycliffe and SAMSUNG            PIU) and several of the Pohnpeian churches. Saladier Ilai, my host and PIU alumni is one of the translation team members. The night I was there they were working through 2 Corinthians 5. While I was there they translated 5.14-18 from the English (using the King James Version and the New Living Translation) into Pingelapese. I spoke to them about the desire of PIU to work with Island Bible translators by providing a solid program of biblical languages and exegesis. Even though I do not know a word of Pingelapese, it was easy for me to see that a working knowledge of biblical languages would have been a great help to them.

SAMSUNG            It is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for me to have PIU involved in Bible translation efforts. SAMSUNG            Our goal to produce real island theologians who can go directly from the world of the Bible to their home islands necessitates leaders who can produce Bibles in the heart languages of the people. I look forward to the day when, not only Bibles, but theologies and commentaries can be produced in the languages of the island peoples.

No comments: