Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Dave and Joyce Owen Fall Prayer Letter

ROC Celebration (7)We are four weeks into a new semester. It was so encouraging Friday in chapel to watch each of the four classes of students sing for us. It reminded me of why I am here: to disciple students to become leaders with a biblically based world-view. To hear them sing about the sovereignty and love of God brought a smile to my face. I would also encourage you to look at our Fall Tide's Currents PIU newsletter. There is a lot more info about the school there. I hope you enjoy the stories and pictures there. 

Joyce and I are doing well. Both of us are recovering from a recent bout with a flu that stole our voices for about two weeks. We were able to keep up with our responsibilities and we thank God for that. Joyce continues to teach English at the Japanese school of Guam and at PIU. I am blessed to watch her build friendships within her work environment and minister Christ to her students and co-workers with her words and actions. I am focused on administration this semester at PIU, especially building relationships and partnerships for the school. I still get to teach in my weekly student Bible study and at my church. 

Here are a few prayer requests:

  1. We are keeping very busy and the flu slowing us down did not help. We appreciate the prayers for our health so that we can keep up with the pace.
  2. I will be traveling to Germany (October 9-16) to present a proposal for future Micronesia ministry strategy to the leadership of Liebenzell Mission International. This proposal was a collaborative effort by several of our missionaries. PIU and LMUSA board member, Howard Merrell, and I will be there to make the presentation. Please pray for the discussion that we will be wise about how we can help the church and communities of Micronesia build godly leadership.
  3. I will also be traveling to the US mainland for my annual Fall trip to attend our accreditation conference, do some recruiting and support raising for the school. This itinerary will include, Santa Cruz, Dallas, Southern California, New Jersey and Cincinnati. Pray for me for energy and for a fruitful trip. 
  4. Because of some logistical issues in our neighboring island facilities our overall student numbers are down this semester. Our Guam numbers are pretty normal. Please pray that we can overcome these issues. One of our administrators will be in Chuuk, Majuro and Pohnpei to work on these issues for the next two weeks. This also effects our finances. Right now it looks like we are about $50,000 under budget for the rest of the semester. I'd appreciate your prayers for provision here. It is easy to make a donation here
  5. We are taking in a Japanese home-stay student for two months who arrived on Monday. She comes from a Christian school in Japan. Our plan is to integrate her into Joyce's English classes and into our lives. We are looking forward to it, but please pray that she will see and hear Christ in us and respond.

Thank you so much for your partnership with us. We have enjoyed 32 years of ministry in Micronesia, with your help, and God willing, look forward to many more. Joyce and I appreciate you

Blessings

Dave and Joyce

No comments: