Sunday, October 16, 2016

Travel

Travel (1024x768)

One thing I have found, after many years of living on Guam, is that it is a difficult place to get to or to travel from. There are many more choices now than there used to be, but travel to and from Guam can be expensive and quite involved. I needed to get from Guam to Frankfurt, Germany and United quoted me a ticket price of over $4000. I turned the trip into two different reservations (Guam-Seoul and Seoul-Frankfurt) which lowered the price to $1500. This also gave me an 8 hour layover in Tokyo and an overnight 15 hour layover in Seoul. So it took me almost 48 hours to get to Frankfurt from Guam. I think that is the longest I have been inside security in airports without ever leaving. It wasn’t really that bad though. Seoul has a nice little transit hotel and there is actually a lot to do in all these airports. Not to mention free wifi. I can’t imagine the old missionaries who made these trips by boat or train. In some ways we have it pretty easy. We build on a foundation that others have laid and reap a field that others have sown. I am happy to be part of that. (I am back on Guam now)

No comments: