Thursday, March 22, 2012

Weekend in Portland

Last weekend I was up in Portland to meet with some PIU Chuukese alumni and some other friends. I had not been to Portland before (I had been through there but never stayed) and enjoyed my opportunity to see Multnomah Falls and a little of the rest of the city. But mainly I enjoyed the people at the churches and homes I visited. It was a special blessing to see several alumni I had not seen in several years and hear how they are doing. It is so great to hear how they are serving God in their churches and communities. The picture above is from a Saturday night Chinese Buffet Dinner with our alumni. Some of them came all the way down from Vancouver Washington to be part of the event. I was really touched.

Portland Portland3

I preached in the Sunday afternoon service for the PIFC church. It was snowing heavily as I began, but we had a great time together. The PIU group sang a song and I had a great opportunity to share about the ministries of the school. The pastor told me that he always looks for PIU grads to lead in his church because “they know the Bible and they know how to teach and minister.”

Portland2 Portland4

Several of the alumni have been in my classes and we have been on mission trips together.

I stayed with Tim and Jan Dixon, parents of current PIU teacher Ken Dixon. I had never met them before and everything was arranged at the last minute, but they were very gracious and hospitable. I got to meet several people from their church who all seem to be very excited about the ministry at PIU. I also learned a lot about Ken which I will need to talk to him about. (Just kidding Ken!) Thank you for that tasty Tillamook cheese and ice cream!

No comments: