Friday, April 27, 2018

Short Medical Update: The “Thank You” Post

20180424_130542 (1024x768)

Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song. Sing his praises in the assembly of the faithful. Psalm 149:1 NLT

I have been praying the psalm above quite often in my personal prayer times lately. Like the psalmists of old I have been promising God that when he delivers me, I will give him public praise “in the assembly of the faithful.” So to all that assembly on line (I’ll do it in person if I see you!) here goes my report on the new thing God has done for me.

20180424_130303 (1024x768)Joyce and I headed to back to Stanford for my PET scan on Tuesday (that’s my lovely chauffeur on the left). We got caught in a traffic jam on the way in and almost did not make it on time to the appointment. Traffic was better on the way out (above). The scan went well and we drove home to wait for the results on Thursday. We drove back to Stanford on Thursday for a blood test and to hear the scan results. I was pretty nervous, but through the past month of waiting we had a real experience of God’s peace. After the nurse went though the preliminaries, the doctor came in and delivered the verdict. My scan was “good,” which meant20180426_140941 (1024x768) that the spots had receded which would indicate that the lymphoma was gone.  The spots indicate some kind of inflammation which the doctor would like to keep an eye on. This means I will get the normal 6 month follow up scan in 3 months, in July instead of November.  There is a lot of follow up to this treatment, but it seems that we have come through the crisis. Our verbal response in the doctor’s office was “thank you doctor” and “thank you God.” God led us through this process and kept His promises to “be with us” and we are thankful.

In this process I am also thankful for ….

  1. The long series of “coincidences” that put me in the best place to receive treatment, in the perfect timing, exactly as I needed it. If any one of them had not happened I would not be here to write this.
  2. Everyone who contributed to the expenses of our travel, medical care, and other ongoing needs. This was truly generous and showed God’s mercy to us.
  3. All our mission partners who continued supporting what we are doing, although we have been unable to work for 16 months now.
  4. God’s people at Gold Country Baptist Church who have provided housing and other physical needs for us.
  5. People all over the world who have been praying for us, encouraging us, messaging us, coming by the house to visit and ministering to us in various ways. You don’t know how many times you have been a profound encouragement to Joyce and me.
  6. Our merciful God. The traditional prayer for healing ends with “Lord have mercy.” God has truly been merciful to us and we are blessed in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

We would appreciate your continued prayers for us as continue through the follow up treatments and the physical therapy for the lymphedema. Our plan-making is still tentative but we are looking more seriously at what the next step God has for us might be. So we ask for God’s direction there. Thank you for your prayers and friendship!

Blessings, Dave and Joyce

Praise the LORD!

Sing to the LORD a new song.

Sing his praises in the assembly of the faithful.

2O Israel, rejoice in your Maker.

O people of Jerusalem,a exult in your King.

3Praise his name with dancing,

accompanied by tambourine and harp.

4For the LORD delights in his people;

he crowns the humble with victory.

5Let the faithful rejoice that he honors them.

Let them sing for joy as they lie on their beds.

No comments: